What is a Candidate?
As we learned in the Understanding the Status Monitor article, all jobs in a Salesforce instance may not have been converted to the Job Center platform. For new users, this may be simply because no one has gotten around to it yet. More likely, a developer (perhaps an implementation partner) has created a job and forgot or just didn't know to use the Job Center framework.
When the Compliance Monitor job runs, it will automatically "notice" this Batchable, Queueable, or Schedulable Apex class and create a Job Record for it in Job Center. If the last run status is known (based on the information Salesforce stores about job classes, it will be captured as well.
The Bad News and the Good News
Candidates are not tracked with nearly as much detail and are missing much of the value of a JC Job (which is why we highly suggest that they be converted as soon as possible). In essence, a Candidate is just a rogue job class, living on the Salesforce instance. Job Center is keeping an eye on it, but isn't yet able to give it full privileges.
- Individual Job Runs for candidates are not tracked or captured.
- Custom logging and results are not available
- Job Center tracks a smaller set of information about these jobs
- The job can't be bypassed. A code deployment would be required (per usual Salesforce process) to stop a run away execution.
- Exception handling is whatever the developer of that job made it (meaning if there is an unhandled exception, the job will probably just "blow up"...hope there is a debug trace!
But don't worry! There is still some awesomeness in it.
- Candidates are automatically captured and displayed in the status monitor, so you can have some idea of how it last performed
- Accountability features and risk scoring still work
- Team members can be assigned to increase overall ownership and responsibility for the code.
- Cases can still be logged directly against the job
Candidates are great for a lot of reasons. Here are the top three things we love about them:
1. They are automatically noticed and recorded by Job Center, so that you don't have unknown and unmanaged job classes hiding on your platform.
2. You can still raise the accountability for this code by using Review Lifecycles, JC Team Members, and Cases.
3. They are easy to convert. To get the full ownership value and to really avoid and reduce the impact of job breakdowns, we encourage you to make them full JC Jobs as soon as possible.
Give candidate conversion a try today. If you need help, let us know!